Benchmarking Energy Usage
comply with california Building Energy Benchmarking Program
Under AB 802, all campuses with a utility meter serving > 50,000 square feet of gross floor area are required to submit their energy usage to the California Energy Commission for public disclosure. The California Energy Commission has extended the deadline to submit 2022 data to July 1, 2023 before they will begin imposing fines for noncompliance. This is an annual requirement that is similar but separate from the Chancellor’s Office Energy Calculator. We provide instructions for how to use your Portfolio Manager account to obtain data for the State Chancellor's Office Energy Use Calculator in the second page of the document linked below.
NEW for 2023
Beginning in 2023, the Energy Commission added a benchmarking reference number to allow for tracking the tens of thousands of disclosable buildings. This unique value will remain the same every year and matches the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager reporting with the building record.
To complete your submission, please follow these instructions to add the benchmarking reference number and resubmit the benchmarking report.
- Go to https://benchmarkingca.com/.
- Find the benchmarking reference number. Search for the building’s street address in the ‘Street’ field. In the table that populates, find the building street address in the column titled ‘Street.’ The benchmarking reference number is in the first column on the left titled ‘Reference #.’
- Log in to ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager and, from the Dashboard, click on the property to add its benchmarking reference number.
- Navigate to the ‘Details’ tab.
- Scroll down to ‘Unique Identifiers (IDs)’ box on the left and click ‘Edit.’
- Scroll to the bottom and find ‘Standard ID(s).’ From the drop-down menu select California Building ID and enter the corresponding benchmarking reference number.
- Click ‘Save.’
You only need to add the benchmarking reference number once. After saving, all future reports submitted for this property will include the number.
If you have any questions regarding finding your benchmarking reference number, or how to bring your building into compliance, contact the benchmarking call center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (855) 279-6460.
Additionally, before you submit your data for each of your properties, you will need to run the Data Quality Checker. If you fail to run the checker, your report will trip a submission error message from the California Energy Commission.
download/view complete instructions here
For additional support, contact Lisa Imai at email@example.com.
get started today!
See the instructions for community colleges below and reach out to Lisa Imai at firstname.lastname@example.org for no-cost benchmarking setup assistance. Additional data entry and automatic data exchange setup services must be contracted through FPPS.
Here's how California Community College Districts can comply:
- Set up an account for your district in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager. Add each campus as a property. You will need to have the total Gross Square Footage of each campus, which you can pull from your FUSION report.
- Enter each campus's energy use data manually or set up automatic monthly data uploads from PG&E, SCE, SoCalGas, and/or SDG&E. If you get your gas or electric from any other utility, or is generated onsite, that data will most likely have to be manually entered.
- Add the benchmarking reference number to your properties (see "New for 2023" instructions above).
- Submit the mandatory benchmarking report to the California Energy Commission. The Jan-Dec data for each year is due the following June 1.
DOWNLOAD/VIEW complete INSTRUCTIONS HERE
set up automatic data exchange
Districts can get their monthly energy data automatically uploaded to Portfolio Manager directly from PG&E, SCE, SCG, and SDG&E!
PORTFOLIO MANAGER training
This webinar will serve as a beginner’s guide to Portfolio Manager and provide you with all the essential “how-to” information you need to start benchmarking and reporting your building data to your local or state government.
access the webinar
Browse ENERGY STAR's calendar of upcoming Live Online Trainings, watch past Recorded Trainings, or download presentations from the Slide Library,
Follow along with Portfolio Manager demonstration videos, or bookmark Portfolio Manager “How-to” documents.
take a training
Browse or search the Frequently Asked Questions,
like How to benchmark a campus.